Allow me to guide you through the process to the best of my ability as a professional in the industry. To help you begin, here are some of the essential steps in the home buying process for you to get familiar with.
Phase I – Prepare
- Prepare finances: Examine your financial situation from how much you intend on putting down as well as what you are comfortable paying on a monthly basis for your mortgage. Once you start this process, it is important to refrain from any larger purchases as this can have a direct affect on the amount of a loan that you apply for.
- Connect with a Mortgage Broker: Once you are comfortable with your personal finances then contact a mortgage broker and find out exactly what you will qualify for in regards to an amount of a loan. They will also give you a pre-approval letter that will accompany your offer when that time comes.
Phase II – Property Search
- Viewing Homes for Sale: This is the most exciting part of the home buying process. Once you have identified what you can afford then we will set up tours of properties. Decide on things like necessary bed/bath count, square footage size as well as exactly where you want to be looking. Each neighborhood or city offers a variety of different amenities and accessibility. I can also be a great resource in helping you figure out which towns may fit your criteria best based on my knowledge and experience.
Phase III – Offer to Closing
- Offer to Purchase: Once we locate the property that you wish to make an offer on, we will need to act fast. I will provide current comps in each town that we look in that will help us to negotiate. Having a good grasp on the market will help you move quickly through the offer process and give you the best chance at getting the home you want.
- Within 7 Days after your accepted offer, you will conduct a home inspection: The only way to know all details of the home is by hiring a professional inspector. They will give the home a thorough examination and inform you of the current condition along with any future repairs that may be needed. This will help you plan for the future or negotiate the terms of your deal in case there is unanticipated work needed.
- Within 2 weeks after offer, enter contract: After the home inspection process it is time to confirm all terms and enter into contract. Commonly referred to as the “P&S” the Purchase and Sale agreement will identify all of the terms and conditions of the deal. The deposit/down payment should be paid along with the signing of this document. These monies will be held in escrow until released to the seller on the day of your closing.
- 45-60 days from the offer you will typically close. This is a common time frame for most deals. However, because no two deals are exactly alike there may be additional contingencies or desired dates that could play a role in altering time frame.
Please feel free to ask me any questions about any part of the process and let my expertise work for you.